2019 Fudan MBBS Program
(An English-Taught Undergraduate Medical Program)
According to the “Provisional Regulations on Quality Control Standards of English-Taught Medical Undergraduate Education for International Students in China”, the Ministry of Education of China has approved Fudan University as one of thirty universities in China permitted to enroll international students in English-taught undergraduate programs in medicine.
To promote international education, Fudan University began enrolling international students in the English-taught undergraduate medical program in fall 2008. The program aims to nurture high-caliber medical graduates with solid medical knowledge, competent clinical skills, and professionalism, while giving due consideration to the possible needs for them to serve in countries outside China. Graduates of the program will have the ability to work in medical and health institutions, making meaningful contributions to the areas of patient care, education, and research.
The program is taught completely in English and follows the principles of consolidating academic knowledge, with emphasis on technical skills, interdisciplinary studies, and clinical practice.
Offered by the Shanghai Medical College of Fudan University, this program is open to international students intending to pursue the science and practice of medicine. Students who excel will have the opportunity to participate in overseas clinical internship programs. After completing the required number of credits, students will be conferred a diploma from Fudan University, and qualified students will receive a degree of Bachelor of Medicine and the Bachelor of Surgery (MBBS). Graduates will have the opportunity to register for medical licensing exams in accordance with the requirements of the relevant regulatory bodies of the countries in which they choose to practice.
Curriculum (for reference only)
Chinese Culture & Natural Science Courses
Brief Introduction to China
Liberal Arts & Basic Medicine Courses
Clinical Medicine Courses
Obstetrics and Gynecology
Preventive Medicine Epidemiology
Traditional Chinese Medicine
Program Duration: 6 years
Students per Cohort: 50
1. High school graduate or above, qualified for university entrance, medically sound foreigners (applicants with color weakness and color blindness are not eligible to apply).
2. According to the regulations released by Ministry of Education, China, emigrants from mainland China, Hong Kong, Macau, and Taiwan applying as international students must have obtained their current foreign citizenship before April 30, 2015. In addition, the applicant must have lived abroad for at least 2 years during the period between April 30, 2015 and April 30, 2019.
Application Period: From November 9, 2018 to December 16, 2018.
Application Fee: 800 RMB (online payment, non-refundable)
Step 1. Online Application
Apply online at http://admission.iso.fudan.edu.cn. Please finish the online application procedure (choose self-support and MBBS), upload the scanned copies of required documents and pay the application fee during the aforementioned application period. After submission, please check the online application system and your email frequently.
Step 2. Submission of Paper Application Documents
After the online application is confirmed by the university, please send the following required application documents:
1. Application Form in PDF with the applicant’s photo and signature. The photo must be a 35mm*49mm-sized photo with white background.
2. Photocopy of valid passport identification page. Passport must be an ordinary one and the expiry date should be after September 30, 2019. Applicants currently residing in China must include a copy of the page containing a valid visa or residence permit.
3. Diploma of highest degree conferred or proof of impending graduation (for applicants in their final year of study) (Original or notarized copy, with notarized Chinese or English translation, if original not in Chinese or English)
4. Transcripts of highest degree conferred (original or notarized copy, with notarized Chinese or English translation, if original not in Chinese or English)
5. Certified copy of TOEFL (IBT) score of 90 or above or IELTS (Academic) score 6.5 or above, taken within two years prior to application date (only for applicants from non-English speaking countries)
6. Personal statement, no more than 2000 words in English or Chinese, including but not limited to motivation for application and details on academic skills, community activities, awards received, personal strengths, study plan, and life goals.
7. Two letters of recommendation in Chinese or English from whom can attest to the quality of the applicant’s academic performance and scholastic potential. The letters must include referees’ phone number and email address.
8. Applicants under 18 years old by September 1, 2019 must submit a Guarantee Statement, which can be downloaded from the website: http://iso.fudan.edu.cn/ziliao.htm. The guarantor should be an adult, living in Shanghai with a stable source of income.
9. Emigrants from mainland China, Hong Kong, Macau, or Taiwan must submit proof of naturalization and copy of entry and exit stamps on passports from the past four years or evidence of residing abroad for at least two of the last four years*.
10. Emigrants who are not from mainland China, Hong Kong, Macau, or Taiwan, but have spent two or more of the last four years* in mainland China, Hong Kong, Macau, or Taiwan as a resident or student, must submit evidence of being foreign citizens at birth, as well as all the copies of visa or residence permit during the stay in China.
*“Last four years” is defined as the time period between April 30, 2015 and April 30, 2019.
* Holders of SAT/IB/GCE A-Level/ACT must meet the minimum requirement as following:
⑵SATⅡ: Minimum 3 courses：①Maths II≥600；②The other two courses should be relevant to the major of medicine (Physics, Chemistry or Biology), both scores≥600
IB Diploma is required, with 3 HL courses and 3 SL courses，including Physics, Chemistry or Biology； Maths HL is a must, with total score≥32
Minimum 3 A-Level courses，with Maths≥B, Physics≥C, Chemistry≥C
* Applicants may send additional documents which may demonstrate their comprehensive abilities along with the required documents, for example, award certificates, published essays, admission notices from other universities, etc.
* Additional application documents may be required when necessary.
*Application documents will not be returned.
★The paper application documents may be submitted in person or by others on behalf of the applicant, or submitted by express mail to Mr. Gao Haifeng, Office for Medical Education, Shanghai Medical College (for detailed address, please see contact information below).
★Application documents must be received by December 23, 2018, or it will be considered as a withdrawal of application.
1）Date: March 30, 2019
After examining the applicants’ documents, the university will inform the qualified applicants of the exact time for interview. Applicants living in Shanghai will have a face-to-face interview while other applicants will be interviewed via internet.
2）Interview Admission Ticket
On March 28 and 29, 2019, applicants can print an Interview Admission Ticket on http://admission.iso.fudan.edu.cn. This ticket and passport are required to be presented for interview.
Applicants who are being interviewed in person must enter Mainland China with valid passports and visa, or the eligibility for interview will be forfeited.
Qualified students will be selected according to the results based on interview and application documents.
Pre-admission results will be published on the International Student Office website in mid of April 2019, and a certain amount of tuition fee need to be paid in advance.
The formal admission notices will be sent in June.
Time of Enrollment: September 2019 (for specific times, please refer to Admission Notice)
Tuition: 75,000 RMB/year (exact amount of tuition fees will be published on the website of Financial Department upon enrollment,http://cwc.fudan.edu.cn/)
Means of Oversight
1. The undergraduate admission process shall be open, the selection process shall be fair, and admissions results made public.
2. Department of Supervision for Admissions
Tel: +86-21-65642601 E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Shanghai Government Scholarship (Type B)
Two of the most excellent applicants who are finally admitted to the program will be awarded Shanghai Government Scholarship (Type B) and can be exempted from the tuition fee.
1. Inquiries about application eligibility and process
Admission Division, International Students Office, Fudan University
No.220, Handan Road, Shanghai 200433
Tel: +86-21-65642258 Fax: +86-21- 65117298
E-mail: email@example.com Website: http://iso.fudan.edu.cn
2. Inquiries about academic eligibility, curriculum, and assessment methods
Mr. Gao Haifeng
Office for Medical Education, Shanghai Medical College, Fudan University
Room 100, No.1 Building, No. 131, Dong’an Road, Shanghai 200032
Tel: +86-21-54237588 E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
The information above is subject to change and may be updated at any time. Please regularly check the website of International Students Office.The final explanation by International Students Office of Fudan University shall prevail.