Part One: Residence Permit for New Students

1. If you hold an X1 visa, you will need to apply for residence permit within 30 days after your entry to China. If you hold X2 visa and the validity of your X2 visa is longer than your study period here, you can not change the visa to the residence permit. If you stay in China for more than six months, however, you will have to apply for a residence permit.

2. Documents needed for residence permit application for the first time (For reference only):

(1) Valid, regular passport

(2) Admission Notice

(3) Visa Application Form (JW202 Form or JW201 Form)

(4) Health Examination Record (Please read Part Two & Appendix)

(5) Registration Form of Temporary Residence (Please read Part Three & Appendix)

(6) Introduction Letter for Visa (processed at ISO office temporarily located in International Students Dormitory at the beginning of the semester or Room 106 during the semester.Also, read Appendix)

(7) One passport-sized photo

(8) Usually, RMB 400-800 (please take it to Shanghai Exit-Entry Administration Bureau as the standard)

3. Before getting Introduction Letter for Visa, you must register at your school as a new student. When getting Introduction Letter for Visa, students should take Admission Notice, passport, insurance receipt and offer on-campus room number or off-campus address. The address of a hotel (temporary accommodation) is not acceptable.

4.1Shanghai Exit-Entry Administration Bureau

             processes your application for visa and residence permit.

             Address: 1500 Minsheng Road, Pudong New District, Shanghai.

                 Service Hours: Monday to Saturday, 9:00 am - 17:00 pm.

            Tel: 86-21-28951900

   (2You can also go to the Exit-Entry Administration Office, Yangpu District.

            Address: 605 Songhu Road, Yangpu District, Shanghai

            Service Hours: Monday to Saturday, 8:30 am - 17:00 pm.

           Tel: 86-21-22170246

   (3Other places for application, please refer t

5. If your information in your passport changes (renewed passport), you should renew your visa within ten days of the change.

★ The explanation above is for your reference only. However, please be aware that the regulations are subject to change and you should check with the relevant authorities prior to making arrangements.

Part Two: Physical Examination/Verification

1. Who needs to take the physical examination or verification:

(1) International students with X1 visa.

(2) International students with X2 visa, and will be studying for over six months in China.

(3) International students who apply for residence permit for the first time.

(4) International students whose residence permits have expired for 3 months, and have to re-apply for it.

2. Documents needed (For reference only):

(1) Valid regular passport and a copy

(2) Admission Notice

(3) The whole set of physical examination report for verification (for those who have had physical examination taken in their own country)

(4) 4 passport-sized photos(2’*2’)

(5) Around RMB 500 for physical examination or RMB 70 – 400 for verification.

NOTE: Before doing the physical examination, you should keep an empty stomach.

3. Shanghai International Travel Healthcare Center provides the service of physical examination and verification.

Address: 15 Jinbang Road, Changning District, Shanghai.

Service Hours: Monday to Friday, 8:00 am - 11:00 am.

Tel: 86-21-62688851

Reservation website:

Or Search for Shanghai International Travel Healthcare Center in the WeChat mini programs and do the reservation.

★ The explanation above is for your reference only. However, please be aware that the regulations are subject to change and you should check with the relevant authorities prior to making arrangements.

  Part Three: Registration Form of Temporary Residence

. On-campus Accommodation

If you successfully reserve the room in International Students Dormitory, you can get the Registration Form of Temporary Residence from the Reception Desk of International Students Dormitory after check-in,

II. Off-campus Accommodation

Shanghai adopts accommodation registration management for foreign students who live off-campus. Within 24 hours after moving into the apartment you will need to go through the temporary accommodation registration procedure.


1. Sign a contract with the landlord and ask him/her to apply for a Security License for the apartment.

2. Log on to the website of Shanghai Exit-Entry Administration Bureau. Click the button Accommodation Registration, sign up and fill in your accommodation information in the registration system.

3. Download and print out Accommodation Registration Form for Fudan University’s Foreign Students

Notice:During your study here, if you change your address, you will need to go through the same procedure again within 24 hours of the change.  

Part Four: Insurance

In order to assure the safety of international students during their stay here, and according to the regulations issued by the Chinese Ministry of Education, long-term international students are required to purchase mandatory Foreign Students Overall Insurance. The insurance fee for long-term students is RMB 400 every 6 months & RMB 800 per year.

The short-term international students are not required to purchase Foreign Students Overall Insurance on condition that they’ve already purchased a similar insurance. The insurance fee for short-term students is as follows:


1 month

2 months

3 months

4 - 6 months

RMB 160

RMB 240

RMB 320

RMB 400


For further information, please check the Comprehensive Insurance & Protection Scheme for Foreigners Staying in China of Ping An Annuity Insurance Company, Ltd.

Service Hours: Monday to Friday, 1:00 p.m. -5:00 p.m.

Place: Reception Desk of International Students Dormitory

Tel: 86-21-55076825, or 86-4008105119-1(24 hours)




1Health Examination Record

2Registration Form of Temporary Residence (on campus)

3Registration Form of Temporary Residence (off-campus)

4. Introduction Letter for Visa